Workplace accidents can happen at any time and place, regardless of the industry or job type. Construction, factories, offices, and any other workplace puts you at risk for injury. WICA provides financial assistance and support for injured workers after being injured at work. WICA insurance is a mandatory insurance policy that all employers in Singapore must purchase for their employees. This policy covers employees injured at work or sick at work. Employers are required by WICA insurance to compensate their employees if they suffer a work-related injury or death. An employee’s WICA compensation depends on several factors, including their injury severity and ability to return to work. An employee may also receive medical benefits for hospitalization costs related to their injury.
How should you react if you are injured at work?
- Seek Medical Attention- The treatment of workplace injuries should always be of the highest standard.
- Medical attention as soon as possible increases your chances of getting your injuries assessed and treated.
- Report Your Accident- You need to report your accident within 14 days after it happens by completing Form 14A and submitting it together with supporting documents like medical reports and payslips. You must keep copies of these documents in case there are issues later on.
- Inform Your Employer- To assist you with your claim, inform your employer right away about the accident. It is also necessary for your employer to notify the Ministry of Manpower of the accident.
- File a Claim for Compensation- Once you have received medical attention and reported your accident, you should file a claim for compensation under wica insurance singapore. It is completing Form 1 and submitting it together with supporting documents like medical reports, payslips, and incident reports.
- Keep Records of Everything- You must keep records of everything related to your injury. It includes all medical bills, doctors’ notes, receipts, and any other expenses incurred due to your injury. These records will help support your compensation claim.
What are some common workplace accidents?
Many different types of workplace accidents can occur in various industries.
- Slips, Trips, and Falls- These types of accidents often happen on wet or slippery floors, loose rugs, or uneven surfaces.
- Overexertion Injuries- Excessive physical exertion like lifting heavy objects or performing repetitive motions results in these injuries.
- Struck-By Accidents- These accidents occur when an object falls from above or is thrown at someone by another worker.
- Vehicle Accidents- The lack of proper safety precautions leads to serious injuries in accidents involving trucks, cars, or forklifts.
How long does it take to receive compensation under WICA insurance?
Compensation under WICA insurance takes time based on several factors. Quickly the employee reports the accident and how severe the injuries are. Typically, it takes around three months for a claim to be processed and approved before they begin receiving their compensation. After receiving a notice of assessment, an employee has one month to appeal a decision they feel is unfairly denied or under-compensated.